April 04, 2021

More comfort watching

Over the last few days I've been devouring the big biblical epics that always appear on TV over Easter. Ben Hur, Quo Vadis, The Robe, Barabbas. Not because I'm anyway religious because I've no belief in any of it but because they are just huge doses of nostalgia that remind me of watching them with my Nana back in the day. I vividly remember being wowed by the chariot races in Ben Hur and traumatised by Massala's death under their wheels with her on the couch next to me eating Turkish delight bars. Us being scared silly during the scene where Demetrius was tortured in The Robe and horrified at the sight of the masses being entertained by the christians being forced to face wild animals in the arenas of Rome in Quo Vadis. Christ I was let watch some dark stuff with her but she loved it all. My first watch of The Good, The Bad And The Ugly was with my Granny, my first Death Wish film was with her and the neighbours (I'm totally serious) - Death Wish 3 thankfully, the fun one. Most films were allowed but the second a boob appeared that was it. Violence and swearing were A-ok but none of the dirty stuff. The night we watched The Terminator was a prime example. Arnie punching holes through punks and massacring an entire police station was fine but Sarah Connor's nipple was the last straw. It took me years to see that film fully after being sent to bed that night.

Ahhh good times. I miss her.

No comments: