December 01, 2018

Formative cinema experiences


The first time I ever went to the cinema by myself was back in 1997. I was in college in Waterford. It was the first week of first year. Beer was flowing, friendships were being forged, Ocean Colour Scene and The Prodigy were everywhere. 4 nights out in a row had me wiped, physically and financially. The money I'd saved up in my bartending job that summer was vanishing fast. This level of frantic beering could not continue. The 5th night out was here. We were walking down Great George's Street towards T&H Doolins. A pub that later became a fave of mine but on this night I couldn't hack the thought of it at all. I was, quite frankly, bollixed from the onslaught of dutch gold and buckfast the night before. Buckfast through a straw because we were fancy.  We arrived to the sound of a jointed pub with condensation spilling down the windows. Nope. Good luck lads, I'll see ye tomorrow. Yes I know I'm a pansy. Good luck. Bye Bye Bye.

I needed my bed. That safe haven where my liver could begin to rebuild itself. Oh this was going to be good. Comfort. Maybe a bag of tayto's too. Great George's Street became Broad Street. The bus stop was in sight. Then for some reason I looked up Patrick's street. There was the Omniplex cinema. The warm, inviting Omniplex cinema. I looked at my watch. 8pm. Home to bed? Or maybe the cinema? Hmmmm. A crisis hit. I'd never been to the cinema before by myself. Would it be weird to go alone? Would I look like a sad bastard? There and then I made a decision that has affected my cinema going self ever since. Who cares what anybody thinks. I'm going to the movies.

The choices were Air Force One or Austin Powers. Easy decision there anyway. One ticket for Han Solo vs The Russians please.

It was great. No arguments over what to see. No one asking me "Who's he" during the movie. No indecision over where to sit. This was a revelation. And because of that decision I've never had a problem with going alone to the movies. I've gotten to see movies I'd have never seen if I was with a group. Jodorowsky's El Topo in the Prince Charles Cinema in London, Seraphim Falls in the Angelika theatre in Greenwich Village, Nebraska in the IFI, Blade Of The Samurai in my local omniplex. The thought of going alone anywhere puts the fear of god in some people but it's a silly thing to worry about and sure if you can't be comfortable by yourself you're in trouble. If you want to go and see something go and see it. I know anxiety and other issues will hold people back and that's understandable but if it's other people's opinions stopping you then two words will help you out.

Fuck 'em.

No comments: