February 09, 2020

A film with me ma



So i introduced me Ma to the world of Quentin Tarantino tonight.

It went better than expected.

It's Oscar weekend and the news of full of nominee lists. When I come home to visit my parents we usually watch a film or two and tonight Ma wanted to watch a best picture nominee. Her first choice was Little Women but that's unavailable so we had to go for something a little different.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

Years ago my father brought me and friends to see Reservoir Dogs. He was appalled by it. 25 years later he still won't watch a Tarantino and that hate rubbed off on me ma. I offered the film up as a suggestion.

"OUATIH?"

"Who made that?"

"Quenti..."

"NOPE"

"It's about Sharon Tate."

"Hmmm. She died horribly iirc."

"Bruce Lee is in it."

"...........i dunno."

"Brad Pitt is i...

"Ok sure I'll give it a go."

"Hmmmmm..."



161 minutes later.

"Ronan I loved it."

I love when that happens. It's a nice feeling when you introduce someone to a film and they aren't buried in their phone 5 minutes later. Ya the violence at the end got to her but she loved the rest. The recreation of the era. That Pitt/DiCaprio pairing. The music. Margot Robbie as an ethereal Sharon Tate. The reappearance of two old faves in the shape of Lee and Steve McQueen. The alternate take on history and a happy ending she was not expecting.

All in all a good viewing experience.

No comments: