February 24, 2020

This week's library finds

I love my local library. A fantastic resource and all of it free. Nowadays you can rent out 12 films a time but that's absolute gluttony so I usually stick to 4 guaranteeing I'll get them all seen before they're due back. It's a great way to fill in the gaps in your viewing without having to resort of illegal means or ropey pan and scan copies uploaded to youtube in 10 minute chunks. The selection is mighty, New and old and from across the world. Plus if you can't find what you want, they'll order it in for you. TBH it pisses all over netflix.

This week's brace is below. A nice mix of foreign and homegrown classics


I used to own this on DVD a long time ago but before I could watch it someone decided to borrow it and never return it. #Rage Curtis and Lancaster though. What a pairing. I can't imagine not loving this.


I thought I'd seen these years ago but a bit of imdb'ing told me the film I'd seen was another Depardieu movie called Germinal. I've heard super things about these 2. Plus I love films with a rural setting.


An Irish one I've wanted to see for years back could never get my hands on a copy of it. Neil Jordan's debut. I caught the first 10 minutes on tv years ago and always wanted to see how it panned out.


This one looks astonished. A 96 minute film shot in one unbroken take. No tricky editing splicing together multiple shots ala 1917, but a film done in one single shot. I'm going to have to try not to blink and break the illusion. Sellotape at the ready.

No comments: