March 08, 2020

Desert Island Discs - The Coronavirus edition

We all know the desert island discs format, well we should seeing as it's around 78 years by now.

If you were trapped on a desert island for the rest of your life what 8 pieces of music would you bring with you? Bear in mind these are the only songs you'll ever get to hear forever so choosing carefully was paramount. You also got the complete works of Shakespeare, a religious book if you wanted it and a third choice of your own. Plus a luxury item. Choose wisely.

Now, with the Coronavirus on the rampage and a quarantine in the future for many of us, lets play a different version of the game. You've come down with the virus, you aren't going to die but the next 2 weeks are going to be snotty, phlegmy misery and you've to self isolate in your room. What would you pick to pass the time? 1 tv show, 1 film, 1 book and 1 album.

TV Show


Has to be E.R. My all time fave. The early years were sublime where characters came before plot but it was always good even when all the originals were gone. I've great memories of watching this with my parents, with the gang in college and with friends who've since passed away. Plus there's 300+ episodes. More than enough to get you through.

Film


The Outlaw Josey Wales. Perfection. And hopeful. You need that when you're sick. I watched this one night in a pub at home with my cousin, a handful of auld boys and the bartender and it's still one of my all time favourite film experiences. No one talking, just pints, fags and the best western ever made playing in the corner.

Book


Salem's Lot. A book about a town being taken over by a contagion (vampiric instead of viral) might be an odd pick but it's just a brilliant read. An epic tale of good vs evil written in a lovely slowburn fashion where you get to know a huge cast of characters before seeing them get ripped apart. Read the whole book in one night years ago in the Europa hotel in Belfast and slept with the lights on after it.

Album


Nirvana - In Utero. Im 16 again when I listen to this. It brings me back to 1994 everytime. I know every single word and as I've listened to it 100s of times (at least) I know I'll never get sick of it.

What 4 would you pick?

Oh btw, my luxury item would be a box of solpadeine with size of a house.


No comments: