March 04, 2020

This week's library finds

This week's batch is a mixed one genre wise but 3 of the 5 have an Academy award theme. Was recently on wikipedia looking at an article about best picture winners/nominees and realised there was an awful lot I haven't seen. Time to put that right.

This one would have bored me rigid had I watched it as a 14 year old when it came out in 1993. But I'm older and wiser now so i'm more willing to be bored rigid now. Plus Emma Thompson and Anthony Hopkins right? And any film nominated for best picture has to be good. Right?? RIGHT???


I've heard of this one but I haven't a fucking clue what it's about. I'm assuming it's not set in a literal slaughterhouse...


Tom Courtenay. Julie Christie. A solid dose of new wave 60's cinema. The kitchen sink era of  British cinema before it went all swinging and psychedelic. I've a vivid recollection of exactly one scene and this and I can't wait to fill in the blanks.


The second best picture nominee of the lot. A film I cannot believe I haven't seen yet especially as I've seen the awful Jude Law remake. This one has Michael Caine though. Caine is always entertaining even if the film isn't.


The last of this weeks picks is another I know nowt about apart from being a best foreign film nominee. It looks like it will be pretentious as hell and the big red 18 cert ensures it will be chock full of naughtiness. Should be an interesting watch either way. I do love going into a film cold.


No comments: