January 04, 2018

This year's film challenge

This year I'm setting myself a film challenge. I'm only going to watch film's I've never seen before. 

I rewatch stuff way too often. Movies I go back to when I'm feeling crappy or when I can't find anything else to watch. Things like gangster films and westerns are like comfort food to me. I've seen The Godfather saga way too many times. Goodfellas, I can't even begin to count the amount of times I've seen it or Tombstone which I more or less know off by heart at this stage. No more. I have to stop. It's time to catch up on the films I've been missing all these years.


Yes I keep my tickets. Judge away

Last year I saw 71 films in the cinema (thank feck for €6 Tuesday and cinema gift cards) and this year I hope to see just as many or more. Yes I am well aware I have an addiction but better this than drink or fags. My first cinema trip of the year was Molly's Game and I hope to see at least 10 films there before the end of February. Award season is the best time of the year for us cinema nerds. So much goodness around. I also made my first trip to a film festival last year (Cork) and wedged 5 films into 2 days and I hope to hit up some of the Dublin film festival next month too.

I've also a list as long as my arm of older films I haven't yet got around to. Films that will fill big gaps in my knowledge of cinema. Before Christmas I finally watched It's A Wonderful Life, The Sound Of Music and Mary Poppins. 3 films I'd always been wary of because I assumed I'd hate them. And of course I loved them. Well 2 of them. Mary Poppins was alright. I want to finish the films of Hitchcock that I've missed. See also Tarkovsky, Fellini, Leone, Coppola, Pressburger and Powell. Too many to mention. 

I actually can't wait. I'll be blind by 2019.

If ye follow me on twitter and see me tweeting about rewatching stuff please shout at me and tell me to cop on.

No comments: