September 21, 2021

The spooky season is close

 It's getting near the spooky season and it feels like a night for a classic


The last time I watched this was with the Limerick cinema club in the Odeon cinema 4 or 5 years ago. We jumped at the chance to see it on the big screen and horror films are always fun with a crowd. Tickets were bought and in we went. In the corner was a Michael Myers mannequin and i thought to myself I'd go over for a look before I took my seat. As I got close the fucking arm shot up and there was a butcher's knife in it's hand. Mannequin my eye. I yelped and scarpered to my seat hoping that no one saw either the yelp or the scarper. Once my heart rate went back to normal there was plenty of fun to be had watching others fall for the same thing.

Watching the film wasn't as much fun. Half the audience laughed throughout the film ruining it's perfectly crafted tension and scares. Maybe they were scoffing to cover up how scared they were or maybe they were just dicks. When you're laughing like a hyena it's hard to appreciate just how good of a film it is. That gliding camerawork and those long takes and how director John Carpenter took full advantage of Dean Cundey's widescreen cinematography by having Michael appear at the edges of the frame and scaring the living fuck out of you even when you know it's coming. 

Tonight I'm watching it the way it's most effective. Alone and with the lights off. 

It's working.



No comments: