May 21, 2017

Do you still buy movies?


I do. I love it.  Finally I know how all them hairy boyo's who still buy vinyl feel.

I love them on my shelf. I love the look of them. I love the ritual of deciding which film to watch. Sometimes this ritual can last as long as the watching of the film but that's all part of the joy. Some day ill even get around to organising them but that's leaning a bit too far into Uber-nerd status.


Cliffhanger & Rashomon side by side. As is only right.
I've collected films forever. The first VHS tape i ever bought was Under Siege or Falling Down, it's a long time ago. The first DVD i ever bought was Final Destination and the first bluray was pissing Spiderman shitty 3. I've spent ridiculous money on all the formats and a lot of that was on films i'd already owned on the previous format. At one stage my DVD collection was nearing 4 figures. That was a bit too mental so i gutted the collection. It stung but had to be done. The local charity shop did well out of me that week.

Another thing i loved was shopping for them. HMV  & Xtravision closing down was a killer. I generally hate shopping. When its clothes i can be in and out and done in 10 minutes but when i went in there i could spend hours browsing. Id get giddy walking into the film section. In the Virgin Megastore in Times Square in New York i nearly lost my mind. There was nearly too much. I shan't share how much i spent suffice to say it was in the fuckin eejit range of spending. Now there's feck all places to buy films. Especially in Limerick. The tesco selection is brutal leaving only CEX which can actually be quite good for 2nd hand stuff. The best selection i've ever seen was in a shop in San Francisco called Amoeba Music. 



I was like a drooling fool in there. Some much stuff. So much obscure stuff. Sections for genres i'd never heard of let alone the films. They had a sexy nun section. Yup, sexy nun. A major oxymoron if there ever was one but there ya go. They had so much stuff my head popped and i left empty handed. What the fuck like. Still regret that. I know you can buy online with the greatest of ease but it just isn't the same. Not the same buzz at all.

High speed broadband killed watching films on disc. Netflix getting popular was the final nail in the coffin for film shops in Ireland. Why would anyone in their right mind pay 3 yoyo for a single film when you could pay a tenner a month for all you can eat films and TV. That said i do love Netflix and use it regularly for hard to find stuff but for me i'd always rather pick a disc.

I'm a dinosaur and i love it.


1 comment:

Keith said...

Great post Ronan.

As an old movie fan, I'll still continue to buy. The selection of movies pre-1980 on Netflix is still appallingly poor so tracking down DVDs is the only (legal) way to watch films that I want to see.

I can so relate to what you said about shopping instore. Yes, shopping off Amazon is piss easy but it doesn't come close to spending an hour or two browsing through shelves in a HMV. One of my favourite things to do on holidays is track down a store and spend time browsing through their selection. Honestly I'm more happy in a HMV or Fnac than an afternoon's sightseeing.