August 12, 2020

Revisiting isn't always a good thing


Michael Mann. Some people love his films and some hate them, especially these two, Blackagt and Public Enemies. These felt experimental, all over the shoulder camera angles, absurd close ups that fill the screen and grainy digital photography that's so foggy it's hard to make out anything in dark scenes. It's like he took the style he perfected in Miami Vice and upped it to the nth degree for these to the detriment of everything else. It had been years since I watched them and over the last few months I'd heard stories of people re-evaluating them and realising them were better than they first seemed. I'm always willing to give films another go and when i saw them cheap in Dealz I thought now's my chance.




Nope. I still hate them.

Fucking Dealz. Enabling stupid decisions.

No comments: