October 19, 2018

Christmas shopping : a pre-emptive strike.


I got me christmas shopping all done the other day. I know using the C word this early in the year offends some but fuckin hell it feels good to have that nightmare behind me. I despise shopping at the best of times but shopping during the chaos that is November and December is a genuinely unnerving experience. The crowds, the heat, the sense of panic, buying a present in one shop and finding it for half the price in another, the crowds, the heat, the queues, the prices subtly bumped over the course of the pre Christmas season then dropped back to normal so shops can call them sales prices in January and did I mention the heat and the crowds. Septic.

Like Santy Claus I made a list, checked it twice, went out and burned through it in the space of 3 hrs. A few books here. A bottle of something nice there. A couple of vouchers. A bit of this, a touch of that. The slightly unsettling experience of thinking I was lost in Søstrene Grene which turned out to be a deadly place for stocking fillers and then the reward of a Spice bag for a job well done. I highly recommend it, both early shopping and the spice bag. Some people claim to enjoy waiting until the 23rd of December before they do their shopping but I call them liars or psychopaths.

No comments: