November 05, 2021

Faves and friends

We all know the feeling. You've a film you love. You want to share it with your friends in the hope they'll love it too and you can have a big in-depth chat about it. You hint at how good it is but you don't want to big it up so much that can never live up to the hype. Your friends arrive or you head to theirs. Anticipation is high and the beer is tasty. You press play and say "You're going to love it." The opening scene kicks off and those familiar rhythms wrap you up tight and that brilliant dialogue dances around your head and you look over to see if your friends are loving it too and

THEY ARE ON THE PHONE. THEY'RE SCROLLING. ACTUALLY SCROLLING. THE FUCKING AUDACITY OF THE BASTARDS.

Oh it's a rotten feeling.

On Wednesday I watched Riders Of Justice with one of my oldest buddies. I'd told him about it 6 months ago but covid got in the way meaning we only got around to seeing it together then. It's one of my favourites, if not my favourite film I've seen this year. I was a bit anxious tbh because this buddy has a habit of nitpicking films, one small thing can put him right off a story and if the moaning started it would ruin the viewing for me. We went through the rigmarole described above. I hoped I hadn't bigged it up too much. The heat was on. I pressed play. 5 minutes in he started laughing, with not at btw (very important), he got giddy when the action kicked off, he cringe laughed at some of it's dark as fuck humour and best of all, never took out his phone once.

VICTORY!!

It's amazing the stupid shit that makes me happy.


No comments: