March 02, 2022

Oh yeah

Oh yes. OH FUCKING YES. This week's CEX purchase is a stunner. Chuck Norris versus the evil Soviet empire. This was the film to watch back in the day. The film whispered about in primary school playgrounds by the boys who had older brothers or parents who'd let them watch anything. Films like this and Cyborg and Death Wish 3 and Predator and The Running Man. Films that were the polar opposite of the shite in the children's section. Movies with blood and fights and swearing and *gasp* nudity. The stuff every ten year old boy is mad for. My parents were pretty lenient with regards to letting us watch more mature films but they'd never rent out movies like this for us. My education in the films I wasn't supposed to be watching came from what was shown on TV so instead we had to spend hours in video shops poring over every detail of  VHS artwork while imagining the good stuff we were missing out on.


I was around 15 or 16 when I finally got to lash into the films of Chuck, Seagal and Van Damme properly. Loved em all and still do mostly. Invasion USA is still my fave Chuck film. A down and dirty, surprisingly nasty look at what happens when you piss off the man who's face is on the pyjamas Superman wears. Look at that cover. Double denim, double Uzi's. It's 80's action to a tee and now I get to enjoy it in 1080p HD. A huge jump up from the VHS copy I last saw. Considered what's going on in the world this week it will be nice to have some vicarious fun.

Giddy.

No comments: