March 05, 2022

That lightbulb moment

I got to see The Godfather Part II in the cinema last night and despite having seen it about 20 times it blew me away once again. It's most celebrated scene always reminds me of this though.


14 year old me loved this scene in The Simpsons. I didn't quite get it though. I'd seen The Godfather a few years before so got the general jist of it. Mafia, respect, doughnuts, all that good stuff. Then came the night I got to finally see The Godfather Part II and so many Simpson's scenes finally made sense. One of many lightbulb moments this show gave me. The streets of New York's Little Italy are ruled by Don Fanucci, a black hand extortionist who demands protection money from everyone living and working there. Now he's set his sights on Vito Corleone. Vito's not having any of it though.


It's perfection ain't it. Francis Ford Coppola's take on a stalk and slash movie is just exhilarating cinema. The moment Vito Corleone cemented his status and arguably the moment that won Robert De Niro his first Oscar. 

No comments: