June 03, 2020

30 day film challenge. Day 20


Day 20 is Reservoir Dogs. No question. This got a cinema re-release over here around 1995 or 1996. My father brought me and 3 friends to the cinema in Tullamore to see it. We'd heard it was vicious, the most violent film ever made, a total gorefest. I was over the moon that we were being brought to it aged 16-17. We sat through it rapt. It was far from the movie I expected it to be. It was so much better. The reliance on dialogue and character over action. The flashbacks. The flashbacks within flashbacks. The way nothing played out the way you expected it. The way the main characters were the villains. No shades of gray at all, they were unapologetic bastards. Except the cop of course but even he did some very bad things. For a lad who devoured Van Damme, Stallone, Seagal and Schwarzeneggar films this was new and exciting territory. Afterwards I read everything about Tarantino that I could get my hands on. He always came across as a dickhead but his passion for film infected me. I wanted to see the films he talked about, French new wave, Italian horror, Chinese gangster movies, Spaghetti westerns and with everyone I watched a little bit more of the world opened up for me.

And it was all thanks to a trip to Offaly.

No comments: