June 15, 2020

Formative cinema trips - a first trip to the IFI

Living outside Dublin you miss a lot. Films considered arthouse don't come within an asses roar of a cinema screen down here and it's an awful pity. I'd read about Lenny Abrahamson's latest film 'What Richard Did' and I knew there was no chance of seeing it on the big screen unless I travelled. So I did. Up to the big smoke. I'm not a fan of Dublin at the best of times but this time there was a reason to go up. My first trip to the Irish Film Institute.

And of course I walked into Filmbase instead. I'd a vague idea where the IFI was but took a wrong turn and got lost. At least the woman behind the desk in Filmbase didn't laugh but i did sense a pitying look at the yokel from her. Eventually I found the way and walked into film heaven. Before I could even get a ticket for the film the IFI shop magically whipped 100 euro's out of my pocket. I was early so bought myself a pint of plain and sat down to watch everything go by for a while. I was instantly smitten. It was smaller than I thought it would be but what a lovely space to relax in. Then came time for the movie. Screen 1 was shabby in those days but charmingly so. You could tell it was a well worn and well loved spot. The crowd began to file and it was then you could see the big difference between here and the usual cinemas. Older people, 70+ loads of them. Awesome. I couldn't remember the last time I saw older people at the cinema. I know it was a senior friendly screening but still, it was such a rare sight. None of them on their phone, no manky popcorn smell, no melt kicking your seat. The place felt so inclusive and so far from the kind of snobby place I feared. I loved it.

Oh and the film was great too.

Must go back soon. It's been way too long.

No comments: