July 28, 2017

The 12A certificate. A mild rant.

*Grumpy gowl mode on*

I was at War For The Planet Of The Apes recently and I really enjoyed it. What I didn't enjoy was the 3 year old child in front of me bawling crying during it. The film was loud enough that the noise didn't bother me but I could still see this baba was clearly distressed by what was going on. The film definitely wasn't suitable for her.

And that's a big problem with the 12A certificate.

The Irish Film Classification Office rejigged itself in the early years of this century and one big change they made was creating the 12A certificate. The A stands for advisory meaning children under the age of 12 can see the film if they are accompanied by an adult.

Anyone see something wrong there?

Films are rated 12 for a reason. To us grown ups they might seem tame as hell but to young kids they can seem terrifying. Apes for example was brutally violent in places. Kids don't need to see crucifixions and executions and horrible death. Having a certificate that allows them to see stuff unsuitable for them is silly. It traumatises them and wrecks the other heads in the audience who have their viewing ruined by sobbing and screaming. 

Because adults are allowed bring kids along these films make more money. And because they make more money studios and cinemas love them and make and want more of them. Don't get me wrong, I know I'm part of the problem too, I enjoy a 12 cert superhero film as much as anyone but films that would have once been aimed at an adult audience are now rejigged to make them more family friendly meaning we have to put up with watered down versions and sit there wondering what could have been.

It's all contributing to the infantilisation of cinema and it's a pain. And it's not going to change anytime soon.

Yes, I know I sound like a whinging bastard and it's a seriously first world problem but fuck it, the cinema is my happy place and I'll cry if I want to.

Boooo. Hiss.

Don't get me fuckin started on the 15A cert.

No comments: