August 06, 2017

What are your favourite "OH FUCK YES!!!!" moments in modern movies.

We all have one. The part of a film where you have to fight to contain yourself. When you find yourself absolutely riddled with goosebumps. When you want to stand up and roar "ABOY THE KID!!!" but you don't cos you'll look like a loop the loop in the middle of the cinema. I did this once and still feel mortified during it. More on that later.

The most recent one first.


Star Wars : The Force Awakens 






The final battle sequence. Just when we think it's all over and Kylo Ren has won we get to see what Rey is truly capable of. An amazing moment. The music. The whoosh of the lightsabre. The goosebumps all over everyone in the cinema. Awesome.



Aliens 





Private Vasquez. A huge gun. The first battle. The soundtrack. Aliens all over the gaff. The marines have orders not to fire. Vasquez doesn't care. "LET'S ROCK!!" What more needs to be said.


The Untouchables 





The border raid. Our heroes ride in on horseback to foil the baddies. It's such a western moment. Even has Ennio Morricone music playing. An all time favourite film scene for me.


Strange Days




Los Angeles, New Year's Eve 1999. Mace, a black woman is being targeted by the LAPD. The crowd is sick of police brutality and decided to fight back with a vengeance. 22 years old and still topical as hell.



The Spy Who Loved Me 





The opening scene. The parachute. The Union Jack. Brilliant. I may as well revoke my Irish citizenship now. 


My Left Foot






Christy Brown, suffering from severe cerebral palsy becomes an unlikely footballing legend and puts the doubters to shame. Awesome.


Billy Elliot





The scene where we see Billy's Da belting down the street full of joy at Billy's news is a great one. A moment of sheer bliss and one that shows how proud of his son he has become.



Bend It Like Beckham





Jess's miracle free kick to the strains of Nessun Dorma is a real punch the air moment, even when you couldn't give a flying fig about football.



Open Range 






"You're the one that killed our friend?" "That's right, I shot the boy too and I enjoyed it." BOOM. Headshot. The moment of sweet revenge that kicks off a brilliant gunfight in the best western of the 21st century. Lesson - Do not fuck with Kevin Costner's friends.



Star Wars Episode VI : Return Of The Jedi





I get awful guff for this but this is my favourite of all the films and I love this little moment of joy near the end. Lando Calrissian's holler of satisfaction at a job well done. I love it. It never fails to bring a smile to my face.



Cinderella Man 





Max Baer is gunning for our hero James Braddock. It's the final round of a bruising box match. James is against the ropes. One more punch will do him in. But James ain't going out like a punk. This is the film where I stood up and roared at the screen in the Limerick Omniplex and then curled into a wee ball of shame. I couldn't stop myself. I'm a sucker for a boxing film.


Toy Story 3





Our heroes are trapped on a conveyor belt, heading towards incineration. Oh jesus, there's no way out, OH NO!! But then, the CLAW!!!! YEAAHHH!!!


Tombstone





"All right, Clanton, you called down the thunder. Well, now you've got it! You see that? It says "United States Marshal." Take a good look at him, Ike, because that's how you're gonna end up! The Cowboys are finished, you understand me?! I see a red sash, I kill the man wearin' it! So run, you cur, RUN! Tell all the other curs the LAW'S coming! You tell 'em I'M coming ...... and Hell's coming with me, you hear! HELL'S COMING WITH ME!"

I LOVE IT SO MUCH

Ok now for a cheat. A TV episode.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer






The final episode of season 6. While Xander tries to stop Willow from destroying the world, Buffy is below ground protecting her little sister Dawn from evil. But Dawn ain't a kid anymore and the Summers sisters fight together for the first time and it is an awesome scene. The moment where Dawn stops being annoying (sort of) and Buffy gets her mojo back big style. Just typing it now makes me want to watch the entire show again.



So.

What are your moments?

No comments: