June 02, 2018

Netflix is changing the way we watch films. And not in a good way.


Remember that time B.N. (before Netflix) when you actually had to make an effort to see a film, whether go to the cinema to see it or xtravision to rent it out or even scan through the RTE guide in the hope that a certain film would make an appearance. It was awkward but I loved it and I enjoyed a film more if I'd make an effort to watch it. Now everything is just there. Well not everything but a lot. It's just there and that's not as good as it sounds.

I'm optimistic when it comes to movies. I'll watch any aul shite on the off chance that it might get better. Plus I feel it's slightly disrespectful to not give a movie a fair go but lately Netflix just been affecting the way I watch films. It's just making them too disposable. Too easy to turn off. When there's no effort involved you just don't give a fuck about what you're watching.

In the last two nights I've turned off two films before they hit the 15 minute mark. One horror called Cargo and one comedy called Ibiza. Cargo had the potential to be good but id just seen it all before and Ibiza was yet another comedy about well off yanks and their silly issues. Both were films I'd have given a proper chance to if I'd walked to xtravision to rent them out but because all I had to do to see them was push a button or two all interest just evaporated. 

I don't like it. #Dinosaur

No comments: