July 06, 2020

Ennio Morricone R.I.P.



A brilliant use of music. First as a tension builder and then absolute sadness.

Ennio Morricone died yesterday and it's just a heartbreaking piece of news. His music helped create some of the best movie moments ever and now we'll never get another one. It's just such a huge loss to the world of cinema because there will never be another like him. Those sweeping, uplifting, upsetting masterpieces that lifted bad movies out of the muck and lifted great movies into the sky. You'd know the Ecstasy Of Gold and Harmonica's Theme off by heart but the depth and breadth of his work would still astound you. From The Thing to The Mission. The Untouchables to Four Flies On Grey Velvet. La Cage Aux Folles to Cat Squad. A Fistful Of Dynamite, What Have You Done To Solange?, The Hateful Eight, 1900, The Exorcist II (!!), you could name his work all day and just be in awe of the man. And now he's gone.


The moment new world meets old. Beauty tainted by the horror of what's to come

In 2013 I bought a pair of tickets to see him in play in Royal Hospital Kilmainham in Dublin. A spur of the moment purchase I couldn't afford but goddamn it was Ennio Morricone. When would I get this opportunity again. As the concert approached I realised I really couldn't afford them and sold them for face value to someone on twitter. It's something I regret so much now. A surefire memory of a lifetime wiped out so I could pay my rent on time. This is what I missed.

 

Masterful. 

Arrivederci Ennio. Dormi bene.

No comments: