July 21, 2020

Oh the nostalgia


Superman has always been my favourite superhero so getting the chance to see him on the big screen is always a treat. My local Omniplex is showing loads of old movies lately due to the lack of new product and the 1978 Superman film was the big classic on this week. It came out the year I was born (I know, I'm fucking ancient) so I'd never seen it anywhere other than TV.  Now was my chance.

It blew me away. 2 hours later I'm still buzzing.  Last Friday week we got to see The Good, The Bad And The Ugly, an amazing experience but this time i was just bowled over by a wave of nostalgia. The music, I'd forgotten just how good it was, triumphant, uplifting, heroic, perfect, a soundtrack you'd nearly stand up and cheer for. The moment that got me was when Superman took Lois Lane for a night time flight over Metropolis. It instantly brought me back to Christmas time as a young lad, watching with my parents and my brother, with my Nana and that feeling of just being awestruck. A man who could fly! Other memories came flying at me too, chief among them my first ever trip to the cinema, going to see Superman III with my Da. Its a 36 year old memory and it's hazy as hell but I still remember that combine harvester scene terrifying us until the Man Of Steel saved the day and I became an instant fan. Then watching Superman II as a child and being traumatised by the scene where Clark gives up his powers and then gets roundly beaten by a trucker in diner. Watching Superman IV in a cinema in London and then getting to sit in Lex Luthor's actual car in Hamley's toystore. There's picture evidence of this somewhere and I need to dig it out now. 

As the film played out I just sat there with the silliest grin on my face. It was badly needed.

God i love the cinema.


No comments: