May 18, 2020

30 Day Film Challenge. Day 9.



The Deer Hunter. 184 minutes of zzzzzzzzz. A film I've never gotten the love for and have gotten so many incredulous looks over the years because of it. Accusations of "But you don't really understand it" to being told I can't possibly understand cinema because i don't like it. I get it. I understand what it's about, it's themes, what its saying about America, the war, the way violence dehumanises everyone involved, men and friendship and male bonding, it's subtextual meanings, the things it's saying without actually saying. This is this. One shot. It just bores the hole off me. Sorry. I've tried. Believe me. I've owned it on VHS, DVD and Blu-ray, always giving it that one last chance just in case this time it grips but nope. No don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its a bad film at all, there's stuff in here to appreciate but it just takes soooooooo long to get therzzzzzzzzzzz. Sorry I nodded off there.

No comments: