May 07, 2020

Music memory


Kiss this, kiss that yeah
Let a lone, long signal
At least, at least, yeah
You could be my hero


Got into a twitter conversation this evening about Incesticide, the collection of b-sides and covers that Nirvana released between their two most famous albums Nevermind & In Utero. Even just talking about it hit me with a wave of nostalgia and I was instantly transported back to the first time I heard it properly and in full. 

Mom and Dad went to a show
They dropped me off at Grandpa Joe's 
I kicked and screamed, said "please don't go"
Grandma take me home

1995. The last time i went on holiday with my parents and brother. 17 years old. A ball of hair and spots. Mad into music. Seattle sounds in particular. Devouring anything I could get my hands on. A friend's older brother had a serious collection and I was allowed to dip into it if I promised no scratches or nicks on his precious CD's. The CD borrowed was Incesticide and it lived in my walkman for that week in Clare. It blew me away. Lying on the sloping lawn overlooking the Fergus river in Clare i learned it off my heart.
Come on over and do the twist, aha
Overdo it and have a fit, aha
Love you so much, it makes me sick, aha
Come on over and shoot the shit, aha
I fuckin' love how music does that to you. Within a second of hearing a fave you fly back to when you first heard it. Who you heard it with. The buzz it gave you. There's nothing else like it apart from smell. Olfactory memory that's called. There's probably a word for music memory too but I'm too busy listening to Kurt blasting out Son Of A Gun to look it up.
The sun shines in the bedroom
When we play
The raining always starts
When you go away


No comments: